Monday, June 16, 2008

Lesson 1

So yeah, story writing actually takes a lot more than just writing a random story down. Sometimes that will work just fine (like this), but more often than not we need to plan out the story. This takes a lot of patience and often involves writing down all the questions and ideas that will come to your head - like this: What is Chesters occupation? Does he do private investigative work full time or just on the side? What is his relationship with Marie?

This part can often be frustrating and confusing and I have actually given up on several good story ideas as a result of getting too perplexed by these questions. I guess a trick to getting past this stage when you get frustrated is to let it alone for a few days and then come back with fresh ideas. This has proven to be a helpful technique even if it does seem like I am neglecting my work.

As for Chester and Marie, the reason that I haven't really worked on it much is probably because I figure that the story has little potential and therefore I don't really feel like I should waste my time on it. But that is stupid because I knew that when I started writing it and it's on the internet anyways so what's the problem?

1 comment:

Martha said...

You are right. Just randomly writing ideas as they come into my head doesn't typically make a good story and I get lost in the details. But I do think you have some great beginning ideas and if the beginning of a story is blah few will continue to read the entire work. Don't give up. Keep brainstorming and learning. I think you could be a great writer someday.