Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Lesson #2

Today is cloudy... the sun is not shining... wait... yes it is. The sun is shining above the clouds.

I now have several writing projects going at once. The other day, I began to write down a very quick draft for a fantasy tale that I have been dwelling on for a year now. My problem before was that I was thinking too hard about the little piddly details that didn't matter so much and then I would lose my inspiration for the rest of the day. I learned to fill in those details with simple things that I can just go back to and work out when I am done with a quick draft. That way I won't lose inspiration for the rest of the story because the rest of the story will already be written down, HOORAY!

So, instead of spending endless hour sitting there trying to think of the most groovy name possible for your character, just call him Bob and move on. When you can't think of a good reason for your character to be out of his house, just say that he was buying some butter for the cookies he was making for his nieces birthday party and move on to more important things, like what happened to him next. After you are done writing your first draft you can come back and adjust the details as necessary.

2 comments:

Martha said...

Good ideas!

Allen said...

How about naming him Mathuselah or how ever you spell it.