Sunday, October 11, 2009

My Grandpa

So as many people are aware, my grandfather (who had been diagnosed with terminal cancer in the end of August) passed away on September 28t. I never got on here and talked about it because I didn't know exactly what to say about the whole thing. I'm usually pretty open about how I feel, and the fact that I couldn't bring myself to talk about it was kind of confusing for me. I know I loved him, but for some reason it wasn't something that I wanted to talk about all the time, or even at all.

But finally, one day after his memorial service, I have decided to write about the things I will really miss about him.

His unique sense of humor. "you might as well just finish your dinner, it's just gonna go in the garbage anyway." And "I beat her (grandma) up every morning." Oh, and then, "The other day I was walking down the road and a saw a monkey turning into a people!"

His stories, ranging to his mischievous childhood and teenaged years to his exploits at American Linen, where he worked as a delivery man.

Just talking. I could often go to Grandpa and tell him stories of my own and we would just talk about stuff for as long as it took.

His music was wonderful. Playing the banjo while also playing the harmonica and singing. He even had a belt buckle with a banjo on it.

His example was one of a kind. He was the least hypocritical person I ever knew.


Josh is getting into all sorts of mischief now so I have to cut it short :(

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I soooooo Love you very very much Josiah...YOU are also one in a billion..
everyone in their own time..
those feelings of missing him will come in waves..with over the years a shorter time..but what incredible memories you have of him..when I grow up I would so like people to remember something good and fun about me..

Dad said...

Joe,

The stories could go on and on and on. He is to me the greatest example of what a true man of God should be, simple yet profound was his wisdom, and his life, a paradox, and an anomaly, rich yet seeming poor, with little of this worlds longings, yet with the world he was their longing, a simple uncomplicated life that had the greatest of possible achievements. There is longing I believe in most of us to a have a value similar to his, an eternal value: not just some temporary fix to life's challenges but that of an eternal wisdom that adds to us a value that lives on long after the seeing it lived out to its full in the one man I would consider my Dad. I love him more than I ever realized, and will seek to honor him not only with the words I speak but in the life I live out with him as my example. Love you Josiah, "Trust in the Lord, and do good"

Rachel said...

I loved him dearly and miss him so much too. I now regret not getting up there at his service yesterday to pay tribute to him. He was the absolute best dad I could have asked for, a true example of Christ. I have never thought SO MUCH about the legacy I will leave one day, as I have since we found out he was sick. I will always hear his weak, whisper of a voice while he was on his deathbed, encouraging me to "always follow Jesus". I will treasure every memory I have of him, including the last big bear hug he gave to me when I went over to his house at 10:00pm one night the week before he died. I went over there to encourage him to use his oxygen at night, but when he answered the locked door to let me in I couldn't speak because the thought of losing him was overwhelming me. All I could do was wrap my arms around his neck and sob. His arms around me felt great and his words were tender and encouraging. I hope I never forget a thing about him.

Bethany said...

"I could often go to Grandpa and tell him stories of my own and we would just talk about stuff for as long as it took."

He was always willing to listen. I love my Grandpa.

Priscilla said...

I found it very difficult to blog about it. Even at the service, the words did not come to me. I was wiling to go up and share...but the words wouldn't come. I don't regret that.

I do regret that I could not find one single photograph of Allen with his grandfather. Just the 2 of them.

So who's going to take up the banjo? I don't think I can bear to see them hanging so silently upon the wall.

Rachel said...

Priscilla I didn't have the words then either.

Martha said...

Maybe someday Jim will pick up the banjo again... or Nate... or maybe Joe...

Grandpa was a sweetheart. I am so blessed to have called him my dad. Never forget the lessons he taught you (us) and remember, he's waiting for us there.