Friday, March 12, 2010

Psychology Essay 2

The final essay I wrote for my psychology class is below. This is dry reading, as it is mostly just raw info. Also, a lot of this is goofy to me, because scientists like to label and categorize every little thing. It seems to me that they do this to get their name in the textbooks. But perhaps they do it to simplify the way we learn.

Once again, this garnered an A.



The Nature of Memory

Human memory often seems to be one of the strangest things one can think about. What is it exactly that causes us to remember things? Why do we remember some things that happened an entire lifetime ago, but often forget things that happened mere seconds ago? Why do we even need to remember certain things? Where are our memories stored and how? Are there ways to enhance memory? Is there such a thing as repressed memories? I often wonder for myself why I can remember the cheat codes to a video game I have not played in 10 years, but forget what my boss told me to do 30 seconds ago.

Basic Memory Processes

According to the textbook “Essentials of Psychology” by Douglass A. Bernstein and Peggy W. Nash, memory runs off of three basic processes: encoding, storage, and retrieval (209).They explain, “First, information must be put into memory, a step that requires encoding.” Encoding allows our brains to process the information we receive and then put it to use. There are three basic codes that our minds use: acoustic codes, or sounds; visual codes, or pictures and sights; and semantic codes, or things we have learned, such as how to interpret the meaning of words and symbols.

The second step in memory is storage. Storage is when we hold our memories when they are not being used. They might be in our heads, but when we are not using them, they are in storage. We can retrieve them at a later time, which brings us to the final process.

Retrieval is when we locate and use the memories stored in our brain. Retrieval is usually a simple process, such as when I remember my birthday or my favorite kind of ice cream. Retrieval can become more difficult however, when attempting to remember the name of an historical figure on a history test, or when trying to think of your Aunt’s phone number.

Types of Memory

Although nobody knows for sure how many there actually are, memory is usually classified in three different categories. These categories include episodic, semantic, and procedural.

Episodic memory occurs when you remember a specific event in your life; a story that happened, like the time you drove into the fence and put a hole in the radiator of your car.

Semantic memory is knowledge of the world. Simple facts such as 2 + 2 = 4, or knowing that planes fly and boats float on water is semantic memory.

The third category, procedural, is knowledge of how to do things, like tying a shoe or playing chess. This type of memory is also used for writing an essay, or at least knowing how to.

While we are on a roll with the threes, let’s also take a look at sensory memory, short term memory, and long term memory. Sensory memory takes place when we see things. We remember them just long enough to recognize what they are, such as looking at a can of Pepsi and recognizing it as a can of Pepsi.

The next stage of memory is called short term memory. We may read a book and take a quiz at the end of it, but many of the things we remember right after we read it will not stick with us for a long time. For this reason, we call this memory short term memory. I might meet a stunningly beautiful girl tomorrow and remember her name for a week, but if the impression she leaves on me is not long lasting, her name becomes lost to me; short term memory.

Say I meet a stunningly beautiful, smart, sweet, and nice girl and we talk and have fun for a few months. If she makes a lasting impression on me I will remember her name for a long time. This is long term memory. Another example of long term memory is of me learning how to ride a bike and crashing into the garage door. I don’t remember what I ate for breakfast on that morning, because it didn’t matter too much to me. But for reasons unknown I remember crashing into that garage door.

The human mind is a complicated thing, and the full aspect of memory may never be completely understood. (Copout)


Here is the beginning of the essay I was going to write. I never finished it because there was not enough information on the subject.



A large part of many interesting stories and movies in today’s society deal with what is referred to as repressed memories. These are memories that are so traumatic that we push them to the back of our minds in an effort to forget them. Many people claim to be able to retrieve these memories after long periods of time, often with drastic consequences. People claim to remember murders, accidents, and many other traumatic ordeals. However, many psychologists are now beginning to question the validity of some of these claims. Are repressed memories a reality, or a fabrication?


I have no idea why that copied in a different font... size (?).

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I like your memory essay. I garner an A. For you, I mean.


hieshmi

Rahim said...

your essay rocks man! wow, never knew some stuff! cool,

Martha said...

I like this one too. I have recently connected with an old friend and that has enabled me to retrieve some long term memories. Fun.